For information on these and other volunteering opportunities, please call Martha Clapp or Cindy Edwards.
- Friends with Helping Hands
We all need a helping hand once in a while when we are experiencing difficulties due to an illness or injury. We are looking for people who are able and willing to provide some assistance with transportation, light housekeeping, grocery shopping, picking up prescriptions and minor repairs. Please give this some prayerful thought and consider what you might be able to do. If you would like to help in this ministry, please give Cindy Edwards a call at the church office (275-5577). There will also be a sign-up sheet available in the gathering area. This is strictly a volunteer opportunity.
- Sunday Morning Prayer Team
The task is simple; arrive at 8:30 am on Sunday, grab a bulletin and pray for the Pastor and the various teams and groups that meet during the week. It is our desire to have everyone “covered” in prayer.
Micah 6:8 Outreach Opportunities
- Backyard ministries: Help re-energize this ministry by organizing and offering to do yard clean-up, housekeeping, minor home repairs, grocery shopping, etc. for our church members or community members in need.
- Child Development Center: Read to the children. ( A simple background check is needed which can be done at church.) See Dana Strickler our Center director.
- Compassionate Care Team: Make visits to our shut-ins and nursing home residents. Make calls, send cards, make meals, give communion. Talk to Deb Brown for a current list of people and their needs. (821-4106) Help organize a church service for Hilltop Manor.
- Community Dinners: Volunteer to help at the dinners. Contribute funds for food. Come up with menu suggestions and help cook. Volunteer to purchase food for one meal. Food for Meals have been averaging around $300.00 for one complete dinner. Talk to Cindy Edwards (821-9523)
- Crop Walk: Although the walk was on Sept. 16th , you can still raise funds for this cause.
- Health Ministries: Offer to help at the Free Community Health Fair on October 4th. Help with blood pressure checks on Sundays. Talk to Bev Emery for details. (821-8889)
- Operation Christmas Child: Purchase items and fill shoe boxes. See Wendy Dibbet (275-4053)
- Pastor’s Discretionary Fund: Help raise money for this fund which is used to help people in the church and in our community with things such as utility shut offs and eviction notices.
- Peaceful Diversions Quilters: Make quilts for Hospice and the Linus Project. See Martha Clapp. (821-9115)
- Pennies for Potatoes: Raise funds and wrap coins. Talk to Alva Delleree (275-4737)
- Personal Care Closet: Provide items or funds to purchase items for the closet. See Martha Clapp for current needs. (821-9115) The mission team is planning on offering to open the closet one day a week in addition to the Community Dinner time. You could offer to help distribute items on the day that is chosen.
- Relay for Life Team: Make items for sale. Raise money. Join the team. Walk the walk. See Laurice Tanner (821-9014)
- Stitchin-for-missions: Sew dresses and pants for children in Africa. See Linda Little for other items that are needed for Hospice and Cancer Support. (422-2853) Knit blankets for Hudzel Hospital. Talk to Judy Burkland (821-5214)
- Sunday School: Offer to teach a Sunday School class. Talk to Reva Love (275-1706)
- Yarn spinners: Knit and crochet Prayer Shawls and lap blankets. See Cindy Edwards for patterns & yarn. (821-9523) Knit or crochet winter hats and mittens.
- Youth (Cross Connection): Talk to John McKay about Youth activities in which you can get involved (821-1220)
Outside Missions Supported by Good Shepherd
- First Congregational Church Food Pantry: Provide non perishable food items. Volunteer to help sort and distribute food. ( 275-5055)
- Friendship Shelter in Gaylord: Call to see what is needed (732-5960)
- Gerrish Higgins School District in Roscommon: Call to see what kind of volunteer activities are needed. Provide backpacks and school supplies. Board Office- (275-6600)
- Habitat for Humanity: Volunteer to work in the ReStore (989-202-2477) or work on the next build. Contact Misty Klatt (989-366-6993)
- Heifer Project: Raise funds to purchase farm animals. www.heifer.org
- Riverhouse Shelter in Grayling: Help provide items for women and children. Call to offer assistance and see what they currently need. (989-348-3169)
- Roscommon County Animal Shelter: Walk dogs, play with kittens, collect supplies. See Laura Barrett. (821-8612) or call the shelter at (989-366-0260).
- Roscommon Area District Library: Call to see what volunteer activities are needed.(281-1305)
- Spruce Motor Lodge: Help provide items for their food pantry.
Micah 6:8 (NIV)
He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.
And what does the Lord require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.